Warning: Risky operation
*** This is a quick note only. I will write a more detailed why and what for it later.
- Create a new temporary field using the name you will not officially use (but can identify from the database records) with the desired reference name using Work Item Definition.
- Swap the reference name between current and the newly created (desired/target) ones on back end database directly
- Delete the temporary field (now with the old reference name)
- Modify the layout of ALL work item definition (for all projects) who is using this field to reference to the new reference name
- Delete the old work item field (witadmin deletefield)
- Modify the QueryItems directly on the database atble to replace the old reference name with the new one