Before changing work item type definitions, there are few things to keep in mind:
- This should be done by SCM team.
- This is part of Change Management process.
- Work Item definition is per team project.
- TFS 2010 does not provide GUI to change work item definition directly.
- You can export (download) work item template (using command line interface), modify the xml definition file, and then import (upload) back to TFS server.
- or you can download and install TFS 2010 Productivity Power Tools to have the Process Editor embedded into your Visual Studio IDE to modify it.
- Either way TFS does not keep history of the work item definition changes.
- We use TFS source control to manage work item definition
To Change work item definition,
- Receive the work item (service request)
- Check out the definition from source control
- Export the current definition from TFS server to local work space and overwrite the checked out version
- Compare the downloaded local version with the latest version on server to make sure they are identical (This is part of Audit process).
- Edit work item definition xml file or use Process Editor to modify work item.
- Import (if edit it locally) and check in the changed item.
- Send notification to related email reception lists.
- Update the work item (service request).